Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 09/06/2009: no to bullfighting

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 09/06/2009: no to bullfighting
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 07:38:25 +0200
Hi Chris,

The other language is Valenciano, the official language here. It is
really just a dialect of Catalan and is somewhat artificially promoted
by the regional government. The only people who actually use it are in
the inland villages--I have never actually heard anyone speaking it on
the street in Alicante, Valencia or any of the other larger towns. But
it is used (alongside standard Spanish) in all government
communications (including road signs), there is a public TV channel,
it is taught in local public schools and so on. Fortunately, my
daughter goes to the European School here (the EU has its own schools
for children of its employees) and so is not subjected to this nonsense.

Thanks for looking!

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain