Re: [OM] Intellisharpen II

Subject: Re: [OM] Intellisharpen II
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 12:43:12 +0200
Hi Fernando and all,

> From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile

> Said the same when installed QT7.5 The following may be very similar: when
> I chose a powerpc Macintosh in 1997, I did so because I could digitize
> analog video with an Avid card which used QT3.That was Mac OS 8 to 8.6. I
> did enjoy doing small clips out of my Sony camcoder.

I (well, my father indeed) bought a PowerMac 7500 in '95, also because of
the built-in video digitizer -- it served well thru these years, and would
be still in main use if the f****** q**** Steve Job (may he rot in hell!)
hadn't buried the _real_ MacOS >:-(

The machine is currently in use by dad, mainly as a musical score editor --
with a propietary program that won't work under the clumsy Classic emulation
-- another lie from Steve: "They all work, and work well" :-( The 7500 it's
his "virtual backing pianist" (he plays the violin, as you can see at <
http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=12&pic=7>)

Then it came Mac OS 9, and QT4. Goodbye Avid card.

Can't tell for sure because my "card" is different. I do remember that at
one point (of software updating) a minor function (full screen
playthrough) was lost.

But which really bothered me was that I was not able to un install QT4 and

I can't believe that... obviously, MacOS had no "uninstall" companion apps
like Win or OSX, but manual removing is easy: just open System Folder ->
Extensions and remove all QT related items (info windows can help with
that), and the same within Control Panels folder (there's one QT item there)
and in Preferences folder. Finally remove the (awful) QT Player 4 app, which
does need QT4 to work -- probably you'll need to restart in order to empty
the trash. Then install QT3 normally... IIRC.

OTOH, I don't know how to do that in Winders, esp. those Registry
nightmares... neither in OS X, unless you're willing to dive between 180000+
hidden files (not kidding here!)

In the meanwhile, I made a good scan in sRGB - while my workflow is to make
> them in aRGB and convert when necessary.

I really don't mess about colour spaces... the 300D allows sRGB and aRGB,
tried both and aRGB looked (obviously) somewhat pale, so discarded it...

Under Edit -> Color Settings -> Advanced Controls, there's a checkbox 'Blend
> RGB colors using gamma [ 1 ]' Should I check it and leave '1' as the most
> appropriate value? By default, the box comes un - checked. Why?

Probably because it's the most reasonable setting for most us mortals ;-)

I'm suffering metaphysic concerns regarding gamma values: 1 is the gray
> point value in the histogram, is it at the same time gamma = 1?

Again, we could get crazy thru this way... I always liked to have a "natural
gamma" reproduction on the screen, that is: a checkered black-white pattern
should look (at a distance) THE SAME as a 50% grey area -- if not, there's
some gamma correction missing.

But then those colour spaces make additional corrections, trying to
normalize the values no matter the device... since there are so many links
in the chain, I usually do some trial and error within the final device,
i.e. the prints: I adjust a file in order to get it the nicest on _my_
screen, and make a trial print... it will look different, but then I try to
readjust my file in order to make it lool like the (bad) test print -- say,
I had to make a 0.8 gamma correction. Then I know that in order to get the
prints (more or less) the same as I saw them in the screen, I have to apply
on a copy of the files the _opposite_ correction (e.g. gamma =>1 / 0.8 =
1.25). Usually it's enough for me, otherwise it could become utopian...

> Then, there are windows gamma values and mac gamma values, and native gamma
> values too - at least in Mac OS, Classic and OS-X.

I understand the native gamma as the correction needed for the screen (or
output device) in order to behave linearly, if the computer sends a
completely linear scale. Then there are the 'target gamma' values, which I
don't understand fully... maybe they represent partial corrections from the
native value?

See why I still shoot film ?? - really, I don't like these 'petite machines'
> - simply put, now you can't get rid of them.

Many people live very happy today... without computers.

Just like in obsessive-compulsive neurosis, you can't get rid of rituals ...
> ;-)

OMG! ;-)

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)