Re: [OM] [OT] Image galleries

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Image galleries
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 20:38:47 -0700
Nicolas Mitchell wrote:
> G'day.
> I started looking at galleries after following links posted by you  people. I
> loaded up Singapore and quite quickly rejected it as being unwieldy.

I quite like Singapore. But I don't use it's upload features, so I don't
know how they are. I simply create subdirectories under it and sling
images into them using Free FTP.  If I want to add labels, details and
comments to more than a couple of images at once, I download the
metadata.csv file, fill everything in in a spreadsheet and load it back up.

Also, all the EXIF data you may have seen in my Singapore galleries is
read from the image file and displayed by a slightly modified Singapore
file. Should you become interested, I can send it to you.

> Then, after that experience ...
> I should search for myself, but here is this resource, you. I wonder what
> other galleries do you use and why?

The other album software I, and some others here, use is JAlbum.
<http://jalbum.net/software>

It's free, flexible and quite powerful. With a big user community, there
are many skins, some with many controls, so you can make almost any look
you want. Or create your own skin. They have a site where you can put
your galleries or you can put them on your own web location. Lately,
they added a way to connect your own galleries to their gallery site.
I'm not sure how the connection works, but apparently it does, as
someone I don't recognize added this gallery to their favorites.

If you look at the bottom of any page in my latest JAlbum gallery,
you'll see their new Widgets.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/StrybingArboretum/>

The upload capability is quite good. JAlbum has an FTP app built-in, so
you just point it where you want the album and it does the rest. It also
will do smart updating, where it only uploads changes.

The only thing I had trouble doing with it was creating a multi-level
gallery where the same images appear in multiple different categories or
"slices" without having multiple copies of the same image on my site. I
did work it out after trying different approaches, though.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Brooklyn/>

It's also compatible with Cooliris (nee PicLens), for showing an
overview of large galleries, as you can see in my Brooklyn gallery.

I haven't looked into it, but I know at least some (all?) skins have a
set-up for selling prints.

Moose