Re: [OM] Iowa Obit

Subject: Re: [OM] Iowa Obit
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 14:16:32 -0700
Bob Whitmire wrote:

> ...Of course some years ago newspapers decided that obits weren't news, but
> potential revenue sources, and the shackles came off. I wonder how many
> lawsuits have resulted from the loosening of those dry old obit standards?

Worse than that, how many burglaries and losses of irreplacable family
"heirlooms".  When my mom died a couple of years ago, we decided not to
publish an obit. It was not the modest cost, but the fact that, although
I lived 10 minutes away, the house was going to be empty, but full of
her stuff, some of value only to family and some of monetary value, for
some time.

With her life revolving around her church friends, everybody who needed
to know knew right away. With the ease of finding addresses from names,
why put up an invitation?

Maybe it's just projection. If I were a burglar, I'd be reading the
obits. :-)

Moose