Re: [OM] Lest we lose the real perspective...

Subject: Re: [OM] Lest we lose the real perspective...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 16:39:21 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> ...   I think it's very good advice and will make my future scanning of old
> films and prints less "fussy".
>
> Chuck Norcutt

> I was looking at a photography book from 1966 with work from many recognized
> photographers from the time. By today's technical standards parameters such
> as sharpness, blown highlights, color and tonality it was not impressive. The
> printing and paper quality was obviously suspect, likely the films were good
> but much was lost by the time it got off the press. However it mattered
> little, it was obviously the content that made the images memorable.

I don't buy that crappy is fine as long as the content is good. If that
's the best that can be done, sure. But if it's just sloppy, why not do
a good job?

> As scanner operators, as we struggle to chase todays digital expectations and
> yesterdays darkroom standards with
> these marginal scanners

What the heck is "marginal scanners" about? There are quite good
scanners available quite reasonably. It it's a Krappy Scans" thing,
fine, but why fight for high standards with poor equipment?

> and not really making it on either end it helps to remember content is the
> most important, possible for future viewers.

And yet, will better quality somehow detract from the content? When
scanning old material, I try to find a balance between technique and
effort and their effect on results.

Especially when scanning a lot of material, I think some time spent
determining what's possible is worthwhile. I spent a fair amount of time
trying different setting and techniques on my dad's old 2 1/4 x 3 1/4
B&W negs of me as a baby. One I knew that any resolution above 600 dpi
was wasted and some other characteristics, I was ready to do the best
possible job with the least effort.

Moose