Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 3 (x2)

Subject: Re: [OM] Images As The Mood Strikes - 3 (x2)
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 23:30:50 +1000 (EST)
Hi Moose,

It's ok, really it is, we are more alike than you realise, hey, we both
have OM's and computers :-)

> It seems you may have spent a lot more time than I did, in these cases.
> "Several underexposed shots (ok, took about 20) of varing degrees to
> capture the right balance of warmth, dynamic range, and grain. Very much
> experimenting." Also, more money, I'd guess.

But only 3 shots out of the 24 total were throw aways, it was hard
to pick only one as the different grain showing and lighting made
for some very nice shots. Films not that expensive. I had a rough
idea of what I wanted, and worked with what I had to get that idea
transfered to film, and I also ended up with some very nice photo's
and experience in lateral thinking :o)

I also goes into the knowledge bank on camera and film capabilities.

<snip> as I know were your coming from.

> Your approach isn't really suitable for me for several reasons.

I dont always spend a lot of time setting a shot up, infact a lot
of my shots are similiar to yours, have camera, have light, have
eyes and something catchs my attention, you use your experience
to decide if you have the time to alter position/setting/camera settings
etc then based on that desision you click. Probably should have
worded that email better but theres a reason I'm not answering
a lot of emails laterly, same reason I dont carry a camera around
with me like I use to up until about 8 years ago, need my hands for
other things etc etc. Tried taking a small PnS once but gave up on
that as well.

Looking after a disabled wife, a dog, 2 cats (one is 28 years old),
and sometimes my wifes quad brother, I enjoy anytime I get to
mess with things photography/electronics/music wise.

> - I prefer natural light outdoors and existing light indoors.

I prefer outdoors always over indoors, notice I say 'prefer' :-)

There are somethings best done indoors, and sometimes its
just plain easier to work with indoor lighting than outdoor depending
on were you can place reflectors etc but the most enjoyable work
to me is normally outdoors with natural light.

Like the bush most of all, and like you say, often things happen
to fast, you have a very small window of opportunity depending
on subject, lighting etc. Thats what also leads to some very interesting
and unexpected shots, its part of what photography's all about. Capturing
a part of life, a part of memory, that fleeting dance of light.

> - The vast majority of my photography is outdoors. Even if I want to
> take the time for careful setup and multiple versions, natural factors
> like changing light, moving subjects, weather, tides and so on often
> mean that what attracted my eye in the first place is gone before I can
> set up a tripod and so on. I did a whole series of close-up shots on the
> beach, that I have high hopes for. We went as the tide was low, and I
> was shooting as it came in. Subjects were literally disappearing under
> the water. :-)

Currently I would love to be able to take a camera on walk abouts with
me pushing a wheel chair or otherthings I've sort of given up except for
the odd family outing. Use to do a lot of camera walk about in Western
Australia before I moved to Victoria (other side of Australia).

> This light only lasted for moments. I took another shot or two with the
> DSLR and a couple with the OM-4, but only this one, the first right as I
> saw the light, really worked for me.

> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Calif/NorthCoast/SunsetBodega.htm>

> This shot was pure reflex, no time to do more than aim and press the
> button. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/FilmvsDigi/FvD03.htm>

> - I've found, to my delight, that many things I can't do with camera,
> lens, lighting, etc., can still be accomplished after the shot. This has
> lowered my frustration level, by allowing me to take many shots I'd have
> simply skipped before.

You have much patience :-)

> - And a simple matter of taste. I prefer to keep walking and looking
> when I'm out photographing. I also rather enjoy working on images in the
> digital darkroom. When I need to do lots of them, it can be a drag, but
> bringing out what seems to me to be the best in my favorites is a joy.

It would be untrue for me to say I've not done the same occasionally,
that is image manipulation on a computer. I prefer walking to but..

> > Though I will admit I spent a lot more time making up my little LED
> >  lighting units for the shot above at least I have more tools to use in the
> > future.

Which I might add will probably never be used again in a photo !

<another big snip>

We all do things differently but then we are all different, thats whats so
interesting about people, camera's, music, and all art.

It's ok Moose, you sound like you are justifying your existance, you dont
have to you know, you just are, your are The Moose.

Now I'm off for an early night (for me) after putting my Brother inlaw to bed.

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/

Job opening as unpaid software tester. To apply, purchase Windows Vista.