Re: [OM] (OT & OT) Panorama problem

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT & OT) Panorama problem
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 16:17:10 -0500

> Either you go to much better behaved bars than I do do or...
> In fact, this is what I lost in my late fifties and one reason I
> retired from teaching full time. I cannot discriminate if there is a
> middling to high level of background noise and often can't hear the
> person I'm talking to in environments where there is a lot going on.
> Very annoying.

You've lost hearing in some mid-tones. This is actually quite common and my
own hearing has a notch which prevents me from hearing speech in a crowded
room. My notch was caused by the childhood ear-infections which killed 1/3
of my hearing. With the exception of that notch, it has maintained
wide-spectrum, though.

A side note about the ear-infections.  My eardrums are heavily scarred. What
is odd is that my threshold of pain is very low and my threshold of hearing
is high. This means my actual range of hearing is pretty narrow. This has
proved to be a very good thing for FoH mixing because I never have the SPL
higher than what I can stand and it's never so low that people say "turn it
up". And to counter my own notch, I make sure there is enough clarity to the
system for either the spoken word or the lead singer to be understood.

During one concert I mixed, I had to rethink that policy, though.  The
lyrics were so horrid, that I decided to bury them in the mix.

AG