Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 13/05/2009: goal!

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 13/05/2009: goal!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 22:32:05 -0700
Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> Hi Chris,

> To address your specific points: I realize that the picture suffers from
> noise/grain and other technical imperfections. ...
>
> As for the noise, the camera was set on ISO 1250 and a manual shutter speed
> of 1/15. Judging by the adjustments I had to make in Lightroom, 1/4 would
> have been more appropriate. So in effect you are looking at an image shot at
> ISO 5000 or thereabouts.

The noise needn't be an issue. I've also done a lightened version, not
because I think it's necessarily better, but to show that it's possible
after noise is dealt with.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/Goal.htm>

Working on a processed and downsized image, there's a tiny loss of
detail in a few areas. I don't think it matters for this image. Starting
with the original and doing NR there, even that should not be evident in
the web size image.

Chris Barker wrote:
> The noise is an aesthetic distraction (and detraction), but Nathan's motives
> for taking a photo in those circumstances do balance that detraction.
>

> On 15 May 2009, at 18:49, Ken Norton wrote:
>
>> What part of the noise in that picture bothers you?  I'd say absolutely
>> nothing. I think the imaging noise in integral to the success of the picture.

Here, I'm with Chris. I understand that many photographers like the look
of grain/noise. Personally, I think the number of instances where it
adds to the image are very small. Yesterday, I got caught on a busy
freeway behind a Harley for way too long. The sound of that big twin
through the modest mufflers was certainly classic - Carol said it
sounded likes a giant hog snorting. It was also REALLY unpleasant.

Grain is an artifact of an imperfect technology, directly analogous to
the various artifacts that plague digital imaging. Just because it's
been with us all of our lives until recently doesn't mean it's somehow
right or natural. People get used to many afflictions. That doesn't mean
most of them wouldn't prefer to be relieved of them.

I wouldn't want to say you are wrong, Ken.  :-)   Misguided, perhaps,
but it is a matter of taste, and I'm merely expressing mine.

Moose

Moose