[OM] (OM) Colour of alpine vegetation

Subject: [OM] (OM) Colour of alpine vegetation
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 22:52:34 +1200
Hi all,

I've been a bit busy, so am nearly 3 days late in responding to people. Sorry.
There will be several contributions on a row.

First to Mike Lazzari.

I hardly altered the brightness of the tussocks etc in

Moonrise over ancient eastern Lake Tekapo moraine piles
www.brianswale.com/zuikoholics/P5040492-Moonrise-over-Mackenzie-moraines.jpg
Vista across Mackenzie country vastness to a sheep station
www.brianswale.com/zuikoholics/P5040490-Mackenzie-vista.jpg

It was about an hour before dark during an 8-hour drive. I had noticed these
mounds many
times before, but on this occasion near days end their colour seemed nice and
rich. I think
I left it alone. I just  pulled up to a stop and took the shot without a tripod
- to my shame
now. I'm doing that less and less. It says a lot for the IS of the 510 that it
is as sharp as it
is.
As I often do, having actually stopped to take a shot and having done it, I
looked around to
see what else is camera-worthy in the neighbourhood. I spotted the distant
ranch vista,
and crossed the road to grab it as well. I really like that shot. Hand-held
again :-(

Depending on the time of day and the degree to which the sun is shining, this
alpine
vegetation can look bleached out or at the other extreme with good colour
saturation. This
day was (rarely) one of the latter.

Also, re the trellis apples; the sky is not bleached out. If you look closely,
you will see that
most of the "sky" is actually thin white cloud with the sun trying valiantly to
shine through.
The give-away is the small patches of blue clear sky.

Brian Swale.