Re: [OM] IMG: Another Visitor

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Another Visitor
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 21:20:53 -0400
He/she is a beauty, well captured (and not too dark :-)).  Since you
live in Tennessee and say the snake was about 24" long it's got to be a
Rough Green Snake.  The only similar snake in the US is the Smooth Green
Snake but he doesn't live in Tennessee and a 24" guy would be
approaching the world's record.  But Rough Greens cover 1/2 or more of
the country and can grow a lot longer than 24".  But they're always long
and slender.  They're called "rough" because they have keeled scales.
The scales are shaped like an upside down boat hull with a distinct keel
line running down the middle.  If you pick one up you'll know
immediately why it's called rough.

Chuck Norcutt