Re: [OM] (DOF doubt) Walking the dog this evening with the, 135/4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] (DOF doubt) Walking the dog this evening with the, 135/4.5
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 14:54:45 -0400
Latest release by author Alan Hadley is Combine ZP.  Get it here:
<http://www.hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CZP/Installation.htm>
For Windows only.  Download and install the CombineZP Package.  Alan
often makes fix files and makes just the affected files available for
download.  I suggest not doing that but stick with the full package.
Old versions must also be uninstalled prior to installing the new.

CombineZP is a very general package for combining a stack of images for
either DOF or HDR.  I think most users (at least the vocal ones) use it
for DOF enhancement on images shot through a microscope.  That appears
to be Hadley's motivation as well.  Because it is general purpose its
usage is not as straightforward as a specialized app.  It provides a
tool box of functions which are applied through running of macros.
There are standard macro sets or you can roll your own including
modifiying the standard ones.

Hadley is a dedicated guy but, in my opinion, is not a professional
software developer or documenter.  It took me quite some time just to
figure out the information that's in my second paragraph above.  It will
take a while to figure out how to use it but it does work.  The latest
release has not been out very long and initial bug reports are just now
slowing down.  But the bugs that were reported I think would not likely
affect most users.

If you put the stack together correctly (and, IIRC I think the ordering
of images in the stack in focus depth order is important) and find the
right macro I think it should just click off and do its thing.

Good luck.  You certainly can't complain about the price.

Chuck Norcutt