Re: [OM] A simple portrait light

Subject: Re: [OM] A simple portrait light
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:17:50 -0500

> Just a large, collapsible, translucent reflector/filter placed in front
> of a sunlit window to provide an alternative to soft northern window
> light.  Other options are sheer curtains, sheets, etc.

Ah, so just a "natural" softbox?

> The author comments that he always looks for suitable windows and sun
> position to avoid hauling in all the lights if possible.

While I can appreciate this viewpoint (and I do the same thing quite often),
it really isn't that big of a deal to lightstand a couple of strobes with
umbrellas.  One of my umbrellas  is a "shoot-through" and also a smallish
softbox I'll use with monolight.  Nowadays, it's not uncommon at all for me
to do location portrait shots with a pair of Vivitar 285HVs, wireless radio
remotes, a pair of stands and a couple of umbrellas with swivel clamps.  I
can literally set up and have my basic lighting in about two minutes.  And,
yes, this type of speed has come in handy more than once.

If you're into portraiture, lighting, and PhotoShop you could do much,
> much worse than signing up for this weekly blurb.

Agreed, but my problem is that there are already too many sites I
frequent...

BTW, I'll be making up a new batch of them, but several sheets of white
rip-stop nylon (go to your local fabric store) with sewn edges are great for
making portable diffusers. I'm going to have one sewn onto a flexible hoop
too.  No need to spend $150 for the same thing that you can make your own
for under $10.

AG