Re: [OM] IMG: Another Backyard Visitor

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Another Backyard Visitor
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 20:52:14 -0700
Jim Nichols wrote:
> Chuck, Andrew, Wayne:
>
> Thanks for looking.  We have surprised them with the auto headlights at
> night, but this is the first one bold enough to stare me down in daylight. My
> wife wants me to call our Animal Control man tomorrow and get a live trap so
> they can remove it to a more proper environment.

Generally, nocturnal animals found foraging in daylight are unable to
find/compete for food at night, and so take the risk of coming out in
the day. Most commonly due to illness or injury.

There are lots of them around here. Some years ago, we has a large
raccoon with a limp and partially missing tail foraging around the yard
in daylight. My then girlfriend was a wildlife rehabber. But before
trying to trap it and take it to the shelter, she tried feeding it dog
food. As soon as it got food at night, it stopped showing up in
daylight. The limp soon started getting better. Then it showed up with
three kids. We continued feeding the family, and the skunk that joined
the dinner parties, until the youngsters weren't so little any more and
separated from mom and she was getting around very well with no obvious
limp.

Long term feeding isn't a good idea, as it starts to up the local
population beyond what natural forage can support, they become dependent
on you and can get more than a little pushy.

Moose