Re: [OM] Cleaning Mirror in film scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning Mirror in film scanner
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 08:46:57 -0400
Sorry, I can't help you with the sensor alignment.  But I wouldn't worry
about cleaning the mirror any more than cleaning a lens.  You might try
stroking it lightly with a small piece of Swiffer Duster if you have
some.  If you don't have any or that doesn't do it completely then I
would swab it gently with a cotton swab and lens cleaner, alcohol or
what have you.  Do it multiple times using a clean swab each time.

Modern first surface mirrors are tougher than most people realize.  They
are aluminized in a vacuum chamber by sputtering aluminum vapor onto the
surface to form a thin coating.  As soon as the aluminum is exposed to
air the surface oxidizes to form a microscopically thin coating of
aluminum oxide.  You might recognize aluminum oxide as the stuff that
grinding wheels are made of.  So, while in an extremely thin layer, it's
also very hard.  It should easily stand up to any cleaning solution you
might reasonably use on any other bit of optics.

I think John Hermanson has spoken here of using bird feathers as a
sweep.  But I have none such.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt