Re: [OM] Point Lobos, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] Point Lobos, etc.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:58:31 -0400
Actually, I don't have a pano head and the tripod was only ever out of
the car once so almost all of my panos (and there are lots of them) were
done free hand.  It's just that I'm being saved by a little caution on
my part and lots of smarts in the software.

This particular "over the cliff" shot is something of a miracle to me.
There are 5 frames in the composition and the two right-most shots
suffered very badly from lens flare from my Tamron 20-40 at 20mm and as
it started to point toward the sun at the right.  In the last frame I
think the flared area was about 25% of the image.  Really bad.  I
figured that the PS pano routine was going to choke.  Actually, it did a
couple times and built some strange things until I took over and
manually positioned the images.  But after that it produced (very
nearly) the image you see with 95% of the lens flare done away with... I
think because it was able to replace the flared part in one image by
overlaying the non-flared part of the image to its left.  Or something
like that.  I didn't think there was enough unflared image between all
frames to do what it did but it did it anyhow.  And it had to have done
an overlay and not a blending. There were only two small brightly
colored spots that I had to clone out to get get rid of the residual
bits of flare.

I have had my lenses (except for the Tamron 24-135) profiled for PTLens.
  When I build a pano I first run all the individual images through
PTLens.  Hopefully that helps them line up OK when trying to match the
left of one image against the center or right of its neighbor.  Seems to
work anyhow.

You can't really appreciate that look over the edge from the web size
image.  It was probably about 100 meters or so down to the bottom.  A
long way down in any case.

Chuck Norcutt