Re: [OM] [OT] Seagate "Barracuda" HDs

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Seagate "Barracuda" HDs
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:28:48 -0400
There are Barracudas and then there are Barracudas.  You're talking
about a consumer grade desktop Barracuda drive (light duty) which has a
3 year warranty.  There are other Barracuda models which are ES and ES.2
(Enterprise Server) rated plus other model lines (Cheetah, Savvio, etc)
that are rated for 24/7 server duty and which carry a 5 year warranty.

Me, I go for cheap, turn the machine off at night and keep a backup
(which you have to do anyhow) and replace the drives about every three
years because something better has come along before the drive wears out
(usually).  I don't know that any other consumer grade drive is any
better or worse than Seagate.  It's a terribly competitive business.

Chuck Norcutt