[OM] Downsized trees and sharpening redux

Subject: [OM] Downsized trees and sharpening redux
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:45:52 -0500
Moose's recent experiment on tree downsizing (not lumbering) and sharpening
(not saws) had me thinking out loud.  The problem was, I was carrying on
quite a dialog with myself.  The wife and kids quickly escaped the house...
On the www.zone-10.com website, under this week's Featured Picture of the
Week is a picture taken about 13 years ago in Montana of the forests and the
Hungry Horse Reservoir. Granted, the trees are all green, but you can get an
idea of what is possible when you combine multi-step scaling and sharpening.
 The grain in the picture is from the Provia film, and in some versions I
had whacked all the grain out, but I kept it in there this time for artistic
intent.  I felt that the cleaned versions had too much of a texture
difference between the sky and the trees and actually looked disturbing.
 Again, artistic intent, but could have been easily cleaned had I wanted to.

There was a part of me that wanted to neutralize the blue-cast to the clouds
and I did experiment with that, but the  results looked like so much digital
schlock today where everybody white-balances things into post-nuclear
holocaust colors. This digital scan is extremely faithful to the Provia
slide itself.

In the full-size scan, you can make out the tree branches across the lake

In terms of Chuck's "true resolution" standards, a downsize to about 8
megapixel equivalent is pixel-sharp. (ie, a detail edge has no blur or
anti-aliasing, but is razer edged at the pixel level.  Not too shabby.

AG