Re: [OM] Red River Valley

Subject: Re: [OM] Red River Valley
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:29:13 -0500
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Sue Pearce <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> This brings to ind a story that I barely remember about a town along the
> Missippi River that was completely flooded one spring.
>
> They took the insurance money, and moved the whole damn thing inland and up.

I sort of doubt it.  The way it works is that each individual property
has to be evaluated by local, state, and FEMA officials to qualify for
a buy-out.  The program is completely voluntary so far as I know.  It
doesn't matter whether the properties were insured or not.  The lion's
share of the money is federal, but the state and locality has to
provide a share as well.  Whether it qualifies for buy-out is
primarily dependent on whether the locality and state can come up with
their share.

With federal, state, and city involved, you can imagine how fast this
all moves.  Not.

I am currently in a buyout proceeding, though I am probably going to
drop out of it and stay where I am.  Every family on my street, all
riverfront, has rebuilt or is in the process of rebuilding except for
two elderly couples, both of whom are infirm.

It may not be the wisest decision financially, but it is very hard to
think about trading my neighbors for people who haven't been through
what we've all been through together.  In addition to that, the City
would simply bulldoze my home and carry it to the landfill.  Aside
from my own personal investment in the home, that just seems like such
a waste of a structure that is completely unique.

Joel W.