Re: [OM] Foliage in web images [was Mud Season in Maine]

Subject: Re: [OM] Foliage in web images [was Mud Season in Maine]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:10:51 -0700
Ken Norton wrote:

> #9 works best for me, but none of them seem right. There is something
> disturbing about all of them for some reason.  But I think it may have more
> to do with JPEG compression than the downsizing and sharpening.

I agree, none are really right, and right is probably just not possible
in JPEGs. One the other hand, they were all being subjected to careful
scrutiny. All I'm looking for is a technique that won't look bad when
browsing through a gallery of images.
> I've been getting my best results lately when I apply a gaussian blur to the
> image prior to downsizing and then sharpening.  The blur functions as a nice
> anti-aliasing filter.  But sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

I've added two more samples. 12 is Gaussian Blur of 0.4 at full size
followed by stepwise downsizing. 13 adds a little sharpening at the
reduced size.

12 isn't bad, but 13 gets too edgy in some trees, although not in others.

> I've been struggling with the downsizing of pictures that contain linear
> items at angles.

Example(s)?

Moose