[OM] 35-80 for reasonable price

Subject: [OM] 35-80 for reasonable price
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:13:42 -0400
Suspect this critter  will be hard to come by.  Seems the alt lens
cadre  in have taken notice and agree with AG.  Paul (PDMPhoto) had
posted those well priced jobbers on FM.  They  bought two of them in a
couple minutes.  Paul had mentioned he had sold his (posted it here)
then had to buy one back.

The alt lens group landscape people don't see to like the Kit lens all
that much with the 5DII (the bokeh is fair at best).  The Contax 25-70
f3.4 has the nice Zeiss micro contrast but isn't really sharp till
f5.6.   It is also a one touch zoom that isn't really everyone's cup
tea.  The EOS converted  Contax N 24-85 isn't bad but has some CA and I
think more linear distortion.  Much nicer bokeh than the kit lens but
not any cheaper with the conversion and no IS.  The Zuiko is sharp wide
open and has a few minor faults but apparently is now well advertised
in that group.

One fly in the ointment may be some issue with Live view with alt
lenses at higher shutter speeds and non-chipped adapters:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/735258/1

The CFO may be somewhat  pleased I didn't notice those NIB sales,
suspect could  not lay off that.
Perhaps Moose wonders what all the fuss is, as skillful PP will negate
many optical nuances.
Mike

I have a wonderful selection of terrific lenses, but just like the
300/4.5,
the 35-80/2.8 goes far beyond its specifications and yields images
unlike
anything else out there.  I definitely haven't seen ANYTHING like it in
the
digital world--regardless of format or manufacturer.