Re: [OM] Digital Picture Frames

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Picture Frames
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 19:25:41 -0400
A few months ago I bought a house brand (Dynex) 22" flat screen TV for
$239 from Best Buy for the bedroom and discovered that it makes a pretty
good monitor.  At the time I bought it I didn't even realize it was an
HDTV since the box and display were not labeled as such.  It turned out
that it's a 720p model but as a monitor does 1680x1050 (although that
number is not to be found in the manual).  Still on sale but higher now.
<http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8987475&type=product&id=1218006548849>

Anyhow, I was impressed by the nice color of the display and, for a flat
panel, it's relatively immune to brighness/contrast changes with viewing
angle.  I've been thinking along the lines of a wall mounted TV screen
like this run by an old computer to serve up lots of images all day
long.  And if you get tired of watching photos you can just toggle the
remote to change over to TV if you've got another signal line coming in.
  I just don't quite know where to put it or what to do with the wires.
  Ideally, I guess I'd go through the wall behind the display and into a
room or closet behind to hide the computer and cables.  At $350 for the
TV and an old computer it would probably be cheaper than lots of frames,
mattes and glass and with no need for display lighting.

Chuck Norcutt