Re: [OM] Mammoth E-30 Product Review - Zone-10 Website

Subject: Re: [OM] Mammoth E-30 Product Review - Zone-10 Website
From: "Paul Laughlin" <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:17:33 -0700
They had a very distinctive sound.  Changed some depending on how well the
elight engineer had them synced.  They  had a certain rumbling sound.  I
just ran through the "Strategic Air Command" movie, and I believe that sound
is from the movie sound track right at the beginning of the movie.  Most of
the sounds in the movie are messed up with music.  When a B-36 flew over at
lower altitude the house would shake and the windows rattle.  As they used
to say, "Six turning and four burning".  It was quite common for an aircraft
to return with one or two engines feathered.  We took the wing to England
in, I believe, '56.  Involved three bases.  The bunch I was with went to
Burtonwood.  Another went to Upper Heyford, and I can't remember where the
third went.  I do remember that one of the aircraft landed on the wrong
field, a closed one as I remember, and they had to strip all the weight off
that they could, pump the fuel down to virtually slosh fuel.  They just
barely made the take off and then landed at Upper Heyford.  Indidentally,
there are some B-47 sounds in "Strategic Air Command", also.  I ordered a
DVD yesterday, that contains three B-58 videos.  I hope there are some good
sounds there.
Paul in Portland OR