[OM] OT: anybody experienced with LX-3

Subject: [OM] OT: anybody experienced with LX-3
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:36:41 -0400
Here is one comparison I found interesting:

http://www.bythom.com/compactchallenge.htm

Was thinking about  the LX-3 for another horse cam, but turns out won't
need one until probably next Spring.  (Oly, please hurray up on micro
FT)

It would be a nice complement to a G9/10.  It is interesting how the
LX-3 gives similar pixel counts at 4:3 or 3:2 with the same diagonal
angle of view.

The review slams the G9 a bit, but the IQ compared to the g10 is just
hair worse than the G10 at base ISO, despite the G9 having larger
pixels.

The G9 may be cheaper now, is a tad smaller and goes to 210mm vs 140
(but not as wide)  I have the CHDK hack on it as well with separate RGB
channels displayed on the histo and "zebra mode" for highlights AND
shadows in live view.  I doubt the hack will emerge on the G10 for
several months.  Want to freeze action wiht the flash at 1/64K?---no
problemo wiith the hack.

DXO now supports the G10 as well as the G9 and does a pretty good
job--sort of quick PTlens/ NI but not as much finesse as Moose---it is
a bit heavy handed on noise reduction in higher ISO's.  The
deconvolution also seems to  help a bit from the samples I've seen.  It
is expensive, however.

I have seen some crops of the G10 at 140mm to make it about 210mm and
comparing to the G9---seems to almost be equivalent as long as you
don't look too close.

Mike