Re: [OM] OT- Pictures of cold places

Subject: Re: [OM] OT- Pictures of cold places
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 10:12:07 -0600

> I know.  I watched this program which imho is prolly better than most books
> on the subject:
>
> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/shackletonexped/
>
> You can spend all day clicking on the links...Enjoy

I agree.  Very well done.  My one (only one?) side interest is studying
Shackleton and the Edmund Fitzgerald. There is a new book out called "Mighty
Fitz", by Michael Schumacker (not the driver), that does a remarkable job of
revealing some information not included in the final official report. "The
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Frederick Stonehouse, long considered THE
book on the wreck, is awefully biased in following the Coast Guard's
official conclusion and the author downright arrogant in his dismissal of
any dissenting theories. What the "Mighty Fitz" includes is the testimonies
given during the hearings as well as other documentation which contridicted
the official report.  At that time, "Rogue Wave" were still considered a
myth!!!

Anyway, yes, the Nova program on Shackleton is outstanding, but still
portrays him and the crew out of context with the times. These guys all
signed up for an adventure which they had no illusions that they would ever
survive.  Expedition teams were made up of people with a different mindset
than today's scientist-explorers.  Where Shackleton and his crew made a
monumental mistake was in not recognizing the seriousness of their plight
early on and literally building a new vessel while they had the chance out
of the spare wood, hardware and rigging.  It was a classic case of boiling
the frog.  To draw a comparison, it's like people sandbagging their homes in
the face of rising water instead of first saving the important items inside
the homes.

AG