[OM] Olympus USA Layoffs

Subject: [OM] Olympus USA Layoffs
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 21:07:00 -0500
Olympus USA terminated some number of people this past Friday.  One
person on DPR described it as a "bloodbath".
<http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=31154231>

Olympus headquarters in Center Valley, PA seemed to play it down as
only a minor reduction in work force, at least at the headquarters level.
<http://www.topix.com/forum/business/manufacturing/T7OUPS1C9CSQ87MVI>
Some of the comments made by the locals to that article are interesting.

In unrelated news - Franke & Heidecke, German makers of Rollie
cameras and the bodies for the Sinar HY6 and Leaf AFi medium format
digital cameras, filed insolvency papers today.  It's not clear to me
if Germany has anything like a chapter 11 filing or if this means
that the business will be shut down completely.  I wonder who will be

Later,
Johnny