Re: [OM] OT formatting/partitioning drive

Subject: Re: [OM] OT formatting/partitioning drive
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 18:00:24 -0500
Better to format with NTFS than NFTS guys (New Technology File System)  :-)

I agree with skipping the partitioning.  I don't see any benefit.
Defragging only helps if the partition is nearly full and has had a high
volume of erasures which create fragmented chunks of free space.  Other
wise the allocation system will just look for as much sequential free
space as it can find.  In fact, partitioning will make it more likely
that the smaller partitions will need to be defragged.  One or more of
them is more likely to run up against your arbitrary boundaries.  Old
habits die hard.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt