Re: [OM] pizza, was New Bessa Pics

Subject: Re: [OM] pizza, was New Bessa Pics
From: "siddiq@xxxxxxx" <siddiq@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:10:55 -0800
On Feb 22, 2009, at 11:29 PM, Nicoletta Da Ros wrote:

> i'm intrigued by how relative the idea of "good pizza" is...
>
> a good pizza for me in italy is something else compared to what i
> would call a good pizza here in the US. in italy, the pizza has to be
> very thin, full of toppings, soft in the center and with a not-too-
> soft crust, so that you can slice it and pick up the slice with your
> hands (yes, food tastes better when eaten with one's hands!). it is
> made at the moment, cooked in the brick oven with real fire and it
> does retain the taste of carbon and burnt flour, but not too much as
> to alter the flavors of the toppings and the dough.

The brick and wood fired, and burnt aspects sound very good. I thought
Italian pizza was sparse on the toppings, unlike here, where they
ladle on the sauce, cheese and everything else.

> had pizza at a billion places in italy, north and south, even in
> sorrento and napoli, which are considered the birthplace of the
> pizza. but oddly enough, the best one i had was made by a cuban guy
> who owned a to-go pizza place half a block from my house. he held a
> degree in chemical engineering, and had experimented with different
> ways to make the dough, analyzing it form a chemical point of view,
> and adapting the amount of the ingredients until he came up with the
> softest dough that would not give you heartburn and would not get
> gummy the next day, when reheated. and he was very generous with
> toppings too :)

Hmm, sounds like something I would do, I know my cousins (EE, not CE)
have done that :) I just read the theory and got too lazy to actually
try it. My dad used to make a mean deep dish, and we were famous in
the entire family for it. Had a bakery down the street, and would get
get dough from there, let it rise, and cook it for dinner or when
having family over. It was more about the crust, less about the
toppings. Enough home made tomato sauce to keep it from feeling dry,
and easy on the sliced veggies. Generous enough with the cheese to get
long strings. Yum.