Re: [OM] E-3 ISO samples

Subject: Re: [OM] E-3 ISO samples
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:25:03 -0600
That's a nice test, Richard.  Please don't mistake my observations about the
E-3 to be criticisms. I'm actually back-handed praising the camera for being
as good as it is at the higher ISOs.  It is extremely usable for my event
photography at ISO 1600 and wouldn't hesitate to use it.
Some will scoff at this statement, but I believe the E-1 actually set a very
high bar when it comes to image-quality.  At higher ISOs, the images get
noisy, but the resolution stays tight.

Where I see the E-3's NR becoming bothersome is with mid-toned colors,
specifically at or near red, green or blue. In Richard's examples, these are
all very lightly colored and each pixel location is getting light in all
three colored cells. However, if you take a picture of a red barn, you'll
see far more NR artifacting as the green and blue cells received too little
light to contribute to a high enough signal level to counteract the NR's
blobifying.

AG