[OM] Subject: Re: Steam train - not so OT?

Subject: [OM] Subject: Re: Steam train - not so OT?
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:07:06 -0500 (EST)
In my mind, the rapid replacement of Steam locomotives by
Diesel-Electric in the late 1940's/early 1950's is similar to
the transition we have made from film to digital.

Although there were some functional advantages and emotional
attachments in the old technology, the efficiency and
operational costs of the new technology are so superior, that
the new displaced the old practically overnight.

Now, we are starting to see nostalgia and a revival movement
in film like the steam revival instances mentioned.

----- Larry Woods
      lmwoods@xxxxxxx