Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB 2.0-Powered External

Subject: Re: [OM] Western Digital My Passport Essential USB 2.0-Powered External Drives
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 14:30:12 -0800
Jim Nichols wrote:
> Are any of you using Western Digital My Passport Essential USB 2.0-powered
> external hard drives?  If so, what are your comments on these as to
> suitability for backup use, and reliability?

I'm simply not buying any external HD which is USB 2.0 only. eSATA is
WAY faster, 5x the speed, and only a very few $ more, if that. Maybe it
shouldn't make a difference for a drive planned for backup use only, but
it does for me. I simply find it easier when the process goes faster.

I have a couple of earlier external HDs with only USB 2.0, one also with
Firewire 400/800, a couple with eSATA and an eSATA docking station (or
"toaster"). So far, all eSATA devices I've seen also have a USB 2.0
interface. Specs say USB 2.0 should be slightly faster than Firewire
400. PC users seem to find USB better and Mac user seem to generally
find Firewire 400 faster. I don't know how much is perception and how
much is actual hardware/software implementation. I haven't noticed any
obvious difference.

The difference between them and eSATA is huge and immediately obvious.
The external drive connection is just the same speed as my internal
drives. For regular use as additional HD space, an enclosed device is
smaller and prettier. I have a Vantech and a BeyondMicro and both have
been flawless in use. For back-up use, where multiple drives and/or
remote storage are contemplated, a docking station is most convenient
and cost effective, as one needs only one device for multiple HDs. I've
been happily using the Thermaltake BlacX docking station that Chuck
posted links to more than once.
<http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233613481&sr=8-1>

The WD and Seagate back-up hard drive packages are nice marketing, but
really offer nothing a toaster or other brand HD enclosure and a free
back-up app like SyncBack don't have, but don't offer eSATA. Even if I
didn't have eSATA yet, I'd look to the future and get a device that
supported both USB 2.0 and eSATA.

Before I went eSATA, I looked at the MyBooks and similar devices. As I
recall there were some reports of overheating related failures of
MyBooks in user reviews. What % of users that might represent and what
local conditions might contribute to the problem, I don't know.

Moose