Re: [OM] 1TB drives now under $100

Subject: Re: [OM] 1TB drives now under $100
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:25:50 -0500
I agree that you'll need an eSATA adapter card (e for external).  This
can be PCI or better PCIe (PCI express) if your motherboard has a PCIe
slot which is a faster interface.  My motherboard supports SATA drives
but it would not work with external SATA enclosures.  I had to install a
Rosewill PCIe card from Newegg which provides two eSATA ports at 3 Gb/s.

I don't really know why my motherboard wouldn't support external SATA
drives.  But I did discover that eSATA was a later development and, in
addition to using different and more robust cable connectors it also has
a slightly different voltage spec.  Moose's motherboard appears to
support eSATA directly through backplane ports but mine does not and
Dell verified that I would need to add an adapter.

I would suggest that you do what Moose and I did which was to get an
external drive dock for your SATA drives.  That way they need no
external cases.  Just plug and unplug as needed.  This is what I got.
<http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233350521&sr=8-1>
You can find it or equivalents somewhat cheaper elsewhere but the free
shipping in combination with other stuff made it a better alternative
for me.  Caution.  Make sure it has an eSATA interface.  There are
lookalike boxes which have only USB.  Mine has both eSATA and USB cable
connections but only accepts SATA drives.

Chuck Norcutt