Re: [OM] Obese cameras and E-system Uberbricks

Subject: Re: [OM] Obese cameras and E-system Uberbricks
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:15:19 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:

> .... However, this particular photographer probably could have gotten by with
> buying just one Nikon and lens and just had it sitting there looking pretty
> while continuing to shoot with the gear that he wants to use.  Excuse?
> Olympus lenses are better.

In my very limited personal experience, that has not been an accurate
generality. While I loved my OM-1, the 50/1.8 lens I bought with it was
soft compared to the 50/2 Nikkor on the FTn which they replaced.

Flip side - The Zuiko 35-70/4 is WAY better than the Nikkor 43-86 zoom.
I think there was more than one version of the Nikkor, but the one my
dad had was a stinker.

The 35-70/4 was also better than the Zuiko 50/1.8. Yes, indeed, the
50/1.8s did get better, but that early one was a better portrait than
landscape lens. I'm glad I took my backpacking trip into Havasu canyon
pre OM-1. The huge, feathery piece of dried minerals from spray on top
the lower falls fell off a few years later, rendering later images less
impressive. You can see it close up here.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Havasu/pages/Havasu20.htm>

And in context to the left of the main falls.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Havasu/pages/Havasu11.htm>

Moose