[OM] Condominium vs. Townhouse RE: Going home

Subject: [OM] Condominium vs. Townhouse RE: Going home
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:23:31 -0800
Interesting local variations ...

Townhouse most often refers to common interest multi-level housing which
does not have another unit either above or below it (only on the sides). The
term supposedly derived from row houses. A condominium unit is normally
(locally always) single story and may have units above or below it.

Duplex, Triplex, etc differ from a townhouse or condominium primarily by the
zoning: R2, R3, etc.

They are ambiguous terms which could get a realtor threatened with a law
suit. Locally if it is called a townhouse rather than a condominium it will
probably get much more attention and sell for a higher price. In an urban
rather than suburban environment, marketing would be different. I haven't
seen realtors use the terminology differently but my view outside of
California is almost non-existent.

-jeff