Re: [OM] question on exif data-flash

Subject: Re: [OM] question on exif data-flash
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:02:29 -0800
Michael Collins wrote:
> I think this one is the latest, Exif 2.2:
>
>   http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF
>
> Your browser or Adobe Reader may ask to install Japanese fonts, but you can
> click Cancel without apparent harm.
>
> FWIW, I normally use EXIF Viewer (freeware) to decode EXIF data in images.
> It's a Mac app; I'm sure there are thousands of similar apps in the Windoze
> world.

exiftools has been for some time the most comprehensive and powerful
EXIF viewing and manipulation tool for windoze. It's terrific for
adding/modifying data, but, as a command line only app, sort of awkward
for viewing.

For example, RAW files from the A650 IS don't have metadata, being
simply a dump of the raw image buffer of a camera not designed to output
RAW. So they don't have metadata. Once converted to TIFF, I use
exiftools to batch copy metadata, including EXIF, maker notes, etc.,
from the JPGs to the TIFFs quickly and easily.

exiftoolGUI is a front end for exiftools that is much easier to use for
viewing and import/export of metadata, including EXIF, but not nearly as
powerful at editing, and without batch functions.

PhotoME is similar in function to exiftoolsGUI, but generally more
comprehensive and has a better interface. They seem to be actively
working at extending its coverage, as it regularly has updates,
especially of that most mysterious of metadata, Maker Notes.

It also has plug-ins for IE, FoxFire and its kin and Opera. Very handy
to be able to view the metadata for web images. Lots, of course, have
had it stripped, but many do retain it.

Irfanview has a metadata view that shows a nice selection of the most
useful metadata, but nowhere near all entires. FastStone has a very
minimal EXIF display, it's biggest limitation for me.

Moose