Re: [OM] Fire and Ice

Subject: Re: [OM] Fire and Ice
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 14:32:03 -0600

> Nice dood.  Here's one coming back at you:
> http://flickr.com/photos/99378213@N00/3156333461/

Very nice.  In total honesty, I'd rather be photographing your sunsets than
mine.  :)  The wind, BTW, during the photographing of those shots was 35-40
mph, gusting much stronger.  The only way to get anything even remotely
sharp was to hide in the wind-shadow of the jeep. I had popped the door open
and shot between the door frame and the A-pillar. (did I mention it was a
COLD wind?)

> I like yours better as it is more poetic and I know what was suffered
> to get it.  Lens artifact in mine -- one of the few disappointments
> about the DZs I have, as they are flare-prone.

Hmm. I hear people saying this, but in my experience ALL lenses are
flare-prone, but the 14-54 on my E-1 is as close to perfect in holding off
flare as I've ever encountered.  I was really surprised at how flare-prone
the 35-80 is and I had to work hard on the S-Turn shot to keep from getting
the ghosts.  Not nearly as bad as the 35/shift, but surprised me though.
Shooting on the crop-sensor E-1 probably made it more pronounced, though.
 I'm not complaining, just observing that there is no free lunch when it
comes to using the exceptionally sharp 35-80.

I'm watching the waning moments of the Iowa-S.Carolina game.  The game
> was over sometime before the half, but they're running out the clock
> now.  Go Hawks, Happy New Year all, and aloha for 2009!

Yeah, maybe in 2009...  At least you aren't a Cyclones fan.  Talk about
pathetic.

AG