Re: [OM] News Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] News Flash
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 11:30:05 -0800
I believe this is like the Quantum units. Each group can have more than one
flash in it. By toggling small switches any combination of groups can be
made to trigger simultaneously. This seems like it could be useful in a
"studio situation", essentially selecting different lighting setups at the
push of a few buttons. I vaguely remember someone using this feature for
triggering high powered strobes at indoor basketball games. They simply
chose which end of the court they were going to light up by toggling the
switches (they might have been conserving the charge in their battery
packs).

The Quantum units can also use the channels as a relay to extend the range.
The first slave is put about as far away as possible for reliable
communication. When it triggers it sends out a trigger signal to the next
unit on a different channel.

I think I've only used more than one channel when I was experimenting. Once
I get a good enough image, I move the lights. I don't know how many people
need to set up multiple lighting combinations and select them via remote
control. If the system has remote ratio control between the lights then the
time spent walking over to the flash to adjust its power could be saved ...
setting up could possibly be reduced to sprinkling numerous strobes around
then adjusting everything remotely.

-jeff keller