[OM] BTFP [was Nathan's PAD 13/12/2008: the big moon]

Subject: [OM] BTFP [was Nathan's PAD 13/12/2008: the big moon]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 02:54:53 -0800
Dawid Loubser wrote:

> The Tokina lens is not great - the colours suck, but it is pretty sharp, and
> it draws beautifully (apart from the bad CA). This was from a motor racing
> shoot, at 800mm the subject has to be MASSIVELY far away to even fit  in the
> frame without cropping it:
>
> http://philosomatographer.deviantart.com/art/Shelby-Daytona-60912549
>
> and a crop, to see the old 1960s/1970s bazookha is really not too bad in the
> sharpness department:
>
> http://philosomatographer.deviantart.com/art/Shelby-Daytona-Crop-60913115

Much the conclusion I came to with my Tokina AT-X 150-500mm zoom. It's
not apparently wildly sharp at the long end. On the other hand, it
clearly resolves more detail than is available in a crop from the short
end. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/BayArea/Delta/Falling.htm>

Another thing to consider, assuming vibration has been controlled, is
that many long tele shots tend to include a long column of air, dust,
water vapor, etc., which reduces contrast and sharpness/resolution. For
the same subject size on film, an 800mm lens will shoot through 10x the
amount of air as an 80mm lens. I think really long lenses often get a
bum rap for factors that aren't their fault.

I really should rescan this with the 4000 dpi scanner and apply what
I've learned in the last 2-3 years. Still, it came out rather well for a
hurried tripod shot - no MLU/aperture pre-fire - and without the
problems of distance. Shot at 5-6 m.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Home/Towhee.htm>

Moose

> On the topic of ultra-telephoto-lenses: Have you ever seen the Tokina 800mm?
> It's quite rare, little mention of it on the web, if you are interested, this
> is what it looked like on my Canon Wunderbrick:
>
> http://philosomatographer.deviantart.com/art/Tokina-800mm-f1-8-lens-61359279

A monster indeed! You remind me that I haven't used the 150-500/5.6 for
ages, mostly because of the size and weight, and it looks tiny next to
the 800/8. With a 1.4x TC, it would be 700/8. I wonder if I ever did
that? Probably not. Something to try someday. :-)

Moose