Re: [OM] Vivitar 285HV Zoom Thyristor flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 285HV Zoom Thyristor flash
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:42:38 -0600

> I  have a Stroboframe [essentially,  three sides of a square] on which the
> flash gun is held at the left hand end of the upper arm. The camera is held
> on a plate attached to the lower arm. The plate itself can sit parallel to
> the lower arm or be moved in a closewise direction through 90 degrees such
> that when the camera is taking a photo in vertical or portrait mode the
> flast gun is still vertically above the lens axis.

I love the stroboframe, but have noticed that the trend in on-camera
lighting is moving away of the lens-axis to slightly off-axis again because
of the lack of modeling. A handle-mount flash gives the modeling, but does
need to be diffused a bit to kill the hard-edged shadows around the nose and
below the chin.  The Stroboframe is perfect for killing shadows in the
background, but the faces end up with a very flat looking lighting.

Having four or however many AA batteries in the flash gun cannot exert any
> forward twisting torque on the body / lens combo. The flash gun is detached
> from the camera body.

I use the Vivitar 285HV with no external battery pack on the Stroboframe.
 Weight of my Stroboframe is a bit more than some because it is the type
that has the mechanism for rotating the camera.  My limit for carrying it
around, however, is about four hours before my back locks up.  Lately, I've
been testing the waters with off-camera flash--where the flash units are
stand mounted someplace and I just have the radio trigger in the hot-shoe.
 This makes for a much lighter configuration and I essentially have no time
limits with my back.  Especially If I'm using an OM body with a small prime
like the 35/2.8.

> The only impediment to having a few extra ounces added to the flash gun in
> the form of 4 AA batteries is that the human being carrying the entire rig
> will be exhausted three or four minutes ahead of the time had those four AA
> batteries not been included in the flash gun !

I'm in the midst of doing a tear-down of the battery pack for a T45.  There
are 20 AA cells in that thing.

> Several years ago I shot a wedding using an OM4T and a Metz 60 CT4 [not
> using the Stroboframe!] . The weight of the dry fit battery carried on a
> shoulder strap was a real pain ............. definitely more than the
> marginal to non-existant additional weight of 4 AA batteries :-))

I really dislike external battery packs.  By the time you're carrying two
cameras around, the battery pack becomes a real pain and you think you're
going to get strangled.

AG