Re: [OM] Vivitar 285HV Zoom Thyristor flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 285HV Zoom Thyristor flash
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 18:36:06 -0400
I  have a Stroboframe [essentially,  three sides of a square] on which the
flash gun is held at the left hand end of the upper arm. The camera is held
on a plate attached to the lower arm. The plate itself can sit parallel to
the lower arm or be moved in a closewise direction through 90 degrees such
that when the camera is taking a photo in vertical or portrait mode the
flast gun is still vertically above the lens axis.

Having four or however many AA batteries in the flash gun cannot exert any
forward twisting torque on the body / lens combo. The flash gun is detached
from the camera body.

The only impediment to having a few extra ounces added to the flash gun in
the form of 4 AA batteries is that the human being carrying the entire rig
will be exhausted three or four minutes ahead of the time had those four AA
batteries not been included in the flash gun !

Several years ago I shot a wedding using an OM4T and a Metz 60 CT4 [not
using the Stroboframe!] . The weight of the dry fit battery carried on a
shoulder strap was a real pain ............. definitely more than the
marginal to non-existant additional weight of 4 AA batteries :-))

jh