Re: [OM] IMG: Even in Dismal Weather, the Work Must Go On

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Even in Dismal Weather, the Work Must Go On
From: Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:30:22 -0500
On Thursday, December 18, 2008 12:55, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Thanks for looking, Chuck.  I did not see it done, but suspect it was
> handled with a "hot stick" to insulate the workman.  They are very much
> aware of the dangers involved.

I watched and talked to the linemen when they replaced the pole in my front
yard(planned upgrade). The line looks similar to the set up in the photo,
except that it's only two wires and not three. I'm far enough out in the
country that they only run a single phase down the road. I asked what the
voltage was on the wires and the man I was talking to told me that it was
9200 volts between the lines, 4600 volts to ground.  They moved the lines
from one pole to the next by simply taking ahold of them one at a time and
moving them to the new pole. The rubber insulation was used when they where
hooking up the new transformer so that they wouldn't  end up handling one of
the lines or ground and at the same time backing into the other wire. What
one member of the crew told me was that their boom was tested every three
months at 150k volts.