[OM] Sharpening, was: On free film...

Subject: [OM] Sharpening, was: On free film...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:23:10 -0500
I find that it's rarely necessary to do any kind of careful selection
when sharpening foreground (people mostly) vs background.  In PhotoShop,
first create a new layer and sharpen for the eyes and other facial
features on that layer.  Pay no attention to the effect elsewhere.  Then
add a mask, select black paint and use the paint bucket to pour black
paint all over the mask.  That will undo the sharpened layer and show
the unsharpened layer beneath.  Then select white paint and a paint
brush and paint over the hair, eyes, eyebrows, nostrils, lips, jewelry
and anything else that might look better if it was sharper.  There
really is no need to carefully paint within the lines even though your
mother told you to.  As long as you're not as careless as a typical 2
year old it will look just fine even at moderately large print sizes.

Chuck Norcutt