Re: [OM] The olden days, was: e-6 processing

Subject: Re: [OM] The olden days, was: e-6 processing
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:56:17 -0600

> And for us old farts there's plenty of data that says from about the mid
> sixties on up the higher your cholesterol the longer you live.  Yes, you
> heard me right.  See, for example;
> <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11502313>

Ok, I don't play a doctor on TV, but something about this study seems amiss.
First of all, the study appears to limit itself to an older demographic.
These are people who have survived middle-age heart-disease which is
probably (again, I ain't no doctor) more influenced by high cholesterol
levels.  So, the basic premise is that these are individuals who are less
likely to die from high-cholesterol than the general world population.

Secondly, if I understand the demographics of the participants, they are of
a given genetic branch which has different physiological makeup than those
of European or African descent.  For example, I wouldn't take a cholesterol
study based on Eskimos and apply the conclusions to peoples of the Asian
Sub-continent.  Five servings of whale meat and blubber would probably kill
half the world's population outright.

AG