Re: [OM] Ugh! It's that pesky diffraction stuff...

Subject: Re: [OM] Ugh! It's that pesky diffraction stuff...
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 08:46:40 -0500
At 08:55 AM 11/21/2008, you wrote:
>In a really long and very technical article from Luminous Landscape
>titled "Do Sensors ?Outresolve? Lenses?" the cut-to-the-chase answer in
>in many cases is... yes.  The reason is the diffraction limits of lenses
>at various apertures.  You can read the entire, nerdy article here
><http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/resolution.shtml> or just
>skip to the conclusions which can be found in table 3 near the end.
<snip>

Ah, an article right up my kind of ally. Do they mention the traditional
hand-holding limit of 1/focal length needing modification?
I'm still a 5mp shooter, even with my 12mp camera.

I've noticed on dpreview lens reviews they have an interactive chart
of the lens resolution. Take for instance the Canyon 70-200/2.8 lens
@70mm. Resolution peaks for a full frame sensor at F5.6-F8.
(note, the aperture changes with left-right keys while zoom with
up-down keys.)
http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_70-200_2p8_is_usm_c16/page5.asp

The dpreview chart has a line representing the Nyquist frequency, and
sometimes the resolution exceeds that, indicating the lens out-resolves
the test camera sensor, but for most apertures, the sensor out-resolves
the lens.

I'm now glad the new camera spec to beat is no longer pixel count, but low
noise, as witnessed by Nicon's latest cameras.

Didn't they replace the diffraction grating on the Hubble? Perhaps there are
some diffraction tricks with apertures, like a fuzzy aperture. But then, I guess
that would not increase DOF. Back to combining shots with focus blend.

Wayne