[OM] Ugh! It's that pesky diffraction stuff...

Subject: [OM] Ugh! It's that pesky diffraction stuff...
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:12:43 -0500
Was recently asked to document a "driving event" that went estate to
estate. There were antique carriages and teams of horses all decked out
in fine tack. Some of the antique carriages were made in Amesbury, MA
that was a former manufacturing center for them. Others were recently
imported form England and had fancy suspensions and hydraulic disk
brakes.
I was in a 4 wheel open carriage pulled by a team of Mollie (female)
Mules. Daisy was my favorite and she appreciate the attention and
apples.
There are some large estates in Hamilton that are difficult to
find---some are still in families that obtained the land from the
original King's land grant. There were tables in front of them and they
reviewed the various teams---and offered port and hors d'oeuvres. (I
can always fix the horizons)
Decided to bring a couple OM's----sunny 16 was a bit difficult and had
to remember my Dr. Flash lessons to soften hard shadows with
fill flash---ND filter required with the slow sync speed. We'll see, so
far so good. Perhaps not the best choice for noon- day sun but that's
what I enjoy. Perhaps should have sprung for an F280.
I am not English either.

Mad Dog Mike

Well, unless you want to talk about that old bugaboo called fill flash.
At the 1/180 to 1/250 range available on the E-things for flash sync.
you need to shoot at from f/10 - f/12 just to contain the ambient light
at sunny 16. The 5D slips in there at f/11 at its 1/200 sync speed but
fortunately can drop down to ISO 50 to open up a bit wider.

Moral of the story... No matter what the camera, when it comes to
flash, get out of the noon-day sun.

Dr. Flash