Re: [OM] First poster ?

Subject: Re: [OM] First poster ?
From: "John A. Lind" <j.a.lind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 01:21:16 -0500
Hi John . . .

It's been mostly work.  There is ultimately a light at the end of the
tunnel . . . perhaps in another year or two.  Even though the salaried
staff where I work has been cut by roughly 1/3rd this year, we still
have the same load of work to accomplish.  We're having to do things
quite differently as a result . . . carefully picking and choosing work
activity with greatest "value added" and jettisoning any activity that
doesn't have sufficient value compared to the effort required.  Until
the dust settles from the drastic restructuring and reorganizing that
has been going on for nearly two years, there will be quite a few long
days at work.

I still organize an annual juried photo show here a local art
association.  This will the fifth year of it . . . and most likely the
last year for me.  It consumes most of Spring as it has about 90-110
gallery presentation entries and the show is installed for an entire
month.  I still have all my camera, lighting and studio gear, including
the medium format system.  At some point I'll feel inspired to undertake
another photography project which is where I had been turning my energy
. . . spending more time doing series of photographs exploring and
spanning broader scoped subject material.  In the meantime I remain
lurking on this list and a couple others related to photography . . .
and read the postings periodically in batches.

More recently . . . I pitched viewfinder dioptric correction
completely.  Don't need it now.  Two years ago I had cataract surgery in
my left eye.  The doc predicted the right eye would need it within five
years.  They were "young man's" cataracts . . . occurring about 20 years
sooner than age related cataracts . . . result of long-term high UV
exposure courtesy of my military career with Uncle Sam.  A little
different compared to "age" related cataracts . . . but with the same
effect on vision . . . cloudy lenses in the eyes . . . and the onset in
each eye was very rapid.  Had the right eye done a couple weeks ago . .
. as the doc predicted, it clouded over just like the left one . . . the
doc that did the surgery is extremely good at it.  Both eyes are 20/20
now . . . collectively (both eyes working together) I have 20/15
acuity.  After nearly 40 years of wearing glasses, I'm finally
completely free of them for distance vision.  What a difference it has made!

Thanks -- Best Wishes . . . and hope all is well with you.
-- John