Re: [OM] Always provocative Predictions by Thom Hogan

Subject: Re: [OM] Always provocative Predictions by Thom Hogan
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:54:49 -0600
Bill,

I'm still in acquisition mode right now.  But it's OM equipment these days.
There is a 35-80/2.8 and a T45 flash winging its way my way.  Just bought a
new set of lens-caps (old ones were worn out to the point they wouldn't stay
on anymore), and a tulip lens-hood for the 100/2.8.

I had stopped in at Camera Corner in Davenport (as well as their Moline
store) to get the caps as well as anything else catching my fancy.  In the
Moline store, I chatted with the young man (that seems so sad for my to say
that, ugh).  He asked me what I was shooting and I said Olympus.  A look of
puzzlement crossed his face.  I said the E-1 and a full OM kit.  "Film?" he
asked?  "WHY would you shoot film now?"  He wasn't accusatory or anything,
just completely mystified why anybody would CHOOSE to shoot film.

Sad.

I understand what you are saying about the Suburban.  I just picked up a
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee to replace my 1999.  Same body style and option
package, just different color.  Gave the old one to a family in need.  Felt
good to be able to do that.  We've been on the receiving end of so many
blessings, it was neat to be able to do the same to others.

Gas price here at "Loves" in Newton tonight is $1.65.   I can almost live
with that.  :)

My darkroom construction project is on hold at the moment.  Karen is
committed to pastoring this church through February, but beyond that is an
unknown.  She has updated her Resume and is starting to look at other
churches.  That means a move.  Most likely it will be far enough away that
we'll be moving (and I'll be looking for employment opportunities myself).
What we'd like is a church big enough and financially strong enough to pay
her a decent salary (with health insurance) and I will be free to go 100%
photography.  But all this is an unknown at this time and we have nothing
specific.  Regardless, it is a big enough of a damper that I'm not spending
the $2000 to build my darkroom in the garage.  If we do stay within Iowa,
chances are I can downgrade to part-time employment at the phone company.
Ken