[OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:50:59 -0800
WayneS wrote:
> The main complaint with my Borg camera is that my hand can get tingly and
> numb after continuous shooting. The Borg seems to put a lot of stress on
> particular forearm muscles back near the elbow. The muscles that goes to the
> middle and ring fingers. Once that tightens, it migrates up to the wrist,
> then my hand starts to tingle.

Have you tried a hand grip strap? I use one with my 5D and love it. Of
course, your hand/wrist/forearms may be different, but it's easy and
cheap to try. It moves much of the weight carrying to the back of the
hand from the fingers. When not up for shooting, but held in hand, most
of the weight is on the back of the hand. Fingers then only stabilize it
and remain in position for quick action. I've carried it that way for
hours without ill effect.

There are an apparently unending number of them on the 'Bay. All seem to
be based around one of two different base plate designs, with the other
variations being in the pad design and materials and the width and
thickness of the nylon straps.

Both base plates have their drawbacks.

One retains the tripod screw location.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Hand-Grip-Strap-for-SLR-Digital-Camera-CANON-NIKON-FUJI_W0QQitemZ370107755599QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBags_Cases_Straps?hash=item370107755599&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318>
The drawback is that it provides poor contact for smaller tripod heads
and QR plates, so isn't completely rigid on the tripod. Also, trying to
loosen the tripod screw or rotation against tripod/QR can loosen the
connection screw.

The other gives much better connection/support for small heads and QR
plates, but relocates the tripod screw off the lens axis.
<http://images.marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/hi/61/61482/BOTHXXXXSTR1_5_efc_L.jpg>

The base plates may also be easily removed for more serious tripod use.

Both require loosening to get the battery out. Both relocate the camera
strap for hanging vertically, rather than horizontally. I thought that
might bother me, but it hasn't bothered me at all.

I've tried both and am currently using the second base type with a mix
of thick, sturdy strap from one and nice, all leather pad from the other.

I think the camera makers should locate a third strap lug on the lower
right side of the body.

Moose