[OM] Re: OT American express

Subject: [OM] Re: OT American express
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 21:19:36 -0800
There was a news story about this which I heard on the radio on the way
to work late last week. Apparently many card companies are doing just as
described, cutting back limits (or imposing them). It appears that
they've got themselves in a rather untenable position: in the past
they've raised default rates, or imposed heftier late payment penalties,
as a way to make money when borrowers are over limit or late.
Unfortunately for them, they're apparently bumping against the ceiling
of said penalties and interest rates, and so are lowering limits in
order to compensate (or, one might say, if one were a cynic, to force
otherwise reliable folks into instant over-limit circumstances)

---
Scott Gomez