[OM] Re: Nathan's PAD 26/10/2008: my kingdom

Subject: [OM] Re: Nathan's PAD 26/10/2008: my kingdom
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 09:40:14 +1100
Polly is the second terrier I've had (had a Welsh some years ago).
Note that they are not an easy dog - very demanding and energetic and
they use up a lot of your time. Not a toy or lapdog - a working dog
(chase something and kill it...) They are one of the most frequently
abandoned dogs or hand-ins at the RSPCA and shelters because they are
like living with a hyperactive 3 year old child. If you have the
slightest reservation, don't.
They will chew just about anything, pick a fight with anything,
attract women, bite people (playfully), dig about, yap at everything,
chase off birds (the cockatoos regard her with contemptuous
amusement), jump on tables, regard commands with detached puzzlement,
eat nasty things like cat poo, resist house training, display
persistence to the point of an OCD, demand that you get up at dawn,
hide down your bed, shed short white hairs over everything, hurl
herself at closed doors until they open or you give in, over and over
and over, chew on your toes in the middle of the night for comfort,
hurtle around for the hell of it, hunt rats, irritate the neighbors,
destroy the seat covers in the car if bored...
Not a contract to be entered into lightly. Great for energetic
children and as a farm dog or truck dog.
Wouldn't be without her. :-)
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx