[OM] Re: Remote flash: was It is now official ...

Subject: [OM] Re: Remote flash: was It is now official ...
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 02:14:22 -0400
Those rights belong to the trust that funded the company. But I know
how to do a lot of stuff anyway, without going into that IP.

The fact they have "bees" in their name implies they may be
Zigbee based. I've seen a lot of companies play off the bee
in the naming. Like BeeKit (Freescale), XBee, ...

Depending on the quality of the MAC software layers of the ZigBee stack
it is possible to get 0-4mS delay window, for a very dedicated system, but
if used as a relay, that will increase the hops and double the delay.

The packet size can be as much as 128 byte payload, a chunk of which
is network layer, leaving about 100 bytes payload. The raw baudrate
is around 250K, 200k after network, but the delay is packet based and
have an return acknowledge.

The systems can be clock  synced to a higher precision, but events still
have to propagate and still based on packet delay. The system can
pre-schedule an synchronized event that could be high precision.

I could be totally wrong, and there are other radio systems that might work
better, but these are low cost and a lot of the networking stuff has been
worked out. Just search on ZigBee.

There can be problems with single event reliability with interference
from wifi or other 2.4GHz sources.

I would be curious to know what radio technology they do use. The ideal
situation is if the radio unit attached to the camera controlled when the
shutter actually gets released, then it could schedule the event very precisely.

WayneS